It’s a new year and you have new goals. From spending more time with family to getting that promotion, there’s certainly plenty on your to-do list in 2018. But what about your health? Maybe this is the year you finally shed that belly fat or build extra muscle. It could be that you’ve had enough of your unhealthy lifestyle and want to change. So you consider hiring a personal trainer. However, there’s a huge difference between investing in your future fitness success and simply throwing money away on a plan that doesn’t work. Keep in mind that the right person will help you set realistic goals to achieve your desired results. That’s why it’s critical to take some time finding the right personal trainer. Here a few things to consider, as referenced in this article from Huffington Post.
- Credentials – Far too many people today call themselves personal trainers even though they don’t have the proper credentials. Note that personal trainers must pass an exam through The American Council on Exercise (ACE), the National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM), or the National Strength and Conditioning Association.
- Experience – You probably don’t want to work with a newly certified trainer unless they absolutely blow you away. A fitness coach with at least several years of experience can help you get the most out of your time. Ideally, a personal trainer has plenty of previous success stories that they can share with you.
- Specialties – Beware of cookie-cutter approaches to personal training. Some coaches may try selling you on them being a “jack of all trades.” But what you wish to achieve is probably different from another client. Let’s say, for example, that you have your eyes on being prepared for a marathon in six months. If that’s the case, working with a personal trainer who specializes solely in weight training probably isn’t the best idea. The more expertise your coach has in your desired area, the better the experience.
- Progress – It’s one thing for your fitness coach to implement a plan based on your specific goals. However, it’s another to have the ability to track your progress and tweak that initial plan when necessary. You deserve to see that your hard work is paying off. Common benchmarks include anything from weight loss to strength gains. If for whatever reason you aren’t seeing success after an extended period of time and your personal trainer is unable to pinpoint why, then it might be best to move on to someone different.
- Reputation – It always helps to see results of a personal trainer’s clients before making a final decision. Good trainers should be more than happy to share success stories, testimonials, and references. A fitness coach who is at all reluctant to provide references should be eliminated from your list of candidates.
- Availability – You have an incredibly busy schedule. Chances are that you don’t have much in the way of wiggle room to move training sessions. That’s why it’s a good idea to ask about his or her schedule. Do they like to book sessions at the same time each week? Or is there more of a floating schedule that changes regularly? Don’t forget to ask about the cancellation policy, if there is one.
- Cost – There can certainly be a wide range in cost among personal trainers. Here’s the thing, though: It’s not a great idea to hire the cheapest personal trainer. One’s hourly rate can depend on factors such as certifications, specialty, and location. Take a long, hard look at your budget and what you can afford. The trainer may even offer lower costs for semi-private sessions or buying in bulk.
Why Choose Atlas Nutrition?
There’s no question that finding the right personal trainer can be a challenge. Our team at Atlas Nutrition makes it easy. Maybe you could benefit from the expertise of a meal planner or weight training expert. Our fitness plan specialists have the knowledge to get you in the best shape of your life.
This year, don’t just settle for coming short of your fitness goals yet again. Instead, transform your life with help from one of our seasoned personal trainers. Call Atlas Nutrition today and start conquering your world.